The anniversary of the Ismailia Museum
Today is the anniversary of the Ismailia Museum of Antiquities, which was first opened to the public in 1934 AD, and is considered one of the oldest regional museums in Egypt.
The idea of establishing it came at the end of the 18th century, and coinciding with the Suez Canal Excavation Project (1859-1869 AD), when the French archaeologist "Jean Cledat” who carried out excavations in archaeological sites around the Suez Canal region and North Sinai.
As all excavation work was at the time, funded and supported by the International Suez Canal Company, and under the supervision of "Maspero", the director of the Egyptian Antiquities Authority, and when the monuments resulting from the excavation work were accumulated, the idea of allocating a place to put these artifacts was suggested, and through Numerous administrative correspondence between "Cledat" and Ferdinand De Lesseps, the idea of establishing the museum came to light.
The Ismailia Museum of Antiquities was officially inaugurated on the 13th of February 1934 AD, and was opened to the public on the 4th of March of the same year, and it is located in the Khan El Franj neighborhood, one of the old neighborhoods in Ismailia.