The Mawlawi Tekiyya was originally a madrasa, established by Prince Shams al-Din Sunqur al-Sa’di in 721 AH / 1321 AD on Suyufyya Street. In 745 AH / 1344 AD, it became more commonly known as the dome of Shaykh Hasan Sadaqah al-Sharabishi. The school’s plan consists of an open courtyard, of which only a water fountain survives. The court is surrounded by the remains of small rooms which were reserved for students. The Mawlawi Tekiyya itself was established in 1005 AH / 1595 AD, and served as a hospice for the poor. Its façade was distinguished by a fusion of Mamluk and Ottoman styles. The takeyya became a place of residence for Sufi dervishes of the Mawlawi (Mevlevi) order starting the seventeen century, after which it moved to another location.
The most important characteristic of the Mawlawi Tekiyya is the dome of its ceiling, which is built on twelve wooden pillars. The rooms of the Takeyya is divided into two floors: the ground floor contains eight rooms with wooden ceilings, and the second contains eight different rooms of different sizes and purposes.
The Dervish stage, built in 1255 AH\ 1810 AD, is dedicated to Mawlawi gatherings of dhikr, "remembrance of god" It is composed of a circular wooden platform surrounded by a wooden handrail which has two doors. Here the dervishes perform circular movements as a form of dhikr. The second floor above this space is reserved for guests and women, and is reached by means of a wooden staircase.