Occupying an area of 3500 square meters, the Hellenistic Cemetery of Shatby is situated at the heart of modern Alexandria (district of Shatby).
The use of cemetery began in late 4th century BCE, about a couple of decades following the foundation of the city by Alexander the Great, and continued for the following three centuries.
Shatby Cemetery was unearthed during the systematic excavations (1904-10) of Evaristo Breccia, director of the Graeco-Roman Museum of Alexandria. After many decades of deterioration the site was restored and upgraded by the Archaeological Society of Alexandria sponsored by the A.G Leventis Foundation.
The Cemetery of Shatby yielded a variety of finds such as gravestones, cinerary urns, minor sculptures, coinage, glassware and plenty of pottery.