The mosque of Sultan alNasir Muhammad ibn Qalawun, in the Citadel of Salah al-Din al-Ayyubi (Saladin) in Cairo, was the royal mosque during the Mamluk Period. It is located in the Citadel’s southern section. The Mamluk sultan, al-Nasir Muhammad, has ordered this mosque be built in 718 AH/ 1318 AD. He rebuilt it in 735 AH/1335 AD. This mosque was highly cherished by subsequent Mamluk sultans, and used by the Mamluk occupants of the Citadel.
The mosque is among the most prominent monuments within the citadel, it is consists of an open court surrounded by four porticos. The mosque has two minarets, the tops of the two minarets and dome were once covered in green tiles, and are influenced by an eastern Islamic style. The inside of the dome is decorated with a banner of Qur’anic verses, the titles of Sultan al-Nasir Muhammad, and the date of rebuilding the mosque. The ceiling of the mosque is decorated with beautiful geometric shapes. The ornate minbar (pulpit) is made of wood, inlaid with ivory and mother-of-pearl, and inscribed with the name of King Farouk.
The mosque was used as storage and prison during the British occupation of 1882 AD. This led to its destruction, but it was subsequently restored in 1948 AD.