Sabil-Kuttab of Abd al-Rahman Katkhuda

Sabil-Kuttab of Abd al-Rahman Katkhuda

This Sabil is located at the intersection of Al-Mu’iz and Tambakshiya streets. Prince Abd al-Rahman Katkhuda al-Qazdagli, an Ottoman military man, established it in 1157 AH / 1744 AD. Sabils are charitable institutions built to provide clean and fresh water to people away from the Nile.

The sabil consists of the rectangular sabil room and its three facades. Each façade had a copper window and was fronted on the outside with marble basins for drinking. The Sabil’s interior walls were panelled with ceramic tiles (faience) decorated with various Ottoman floral motifs. Some tiles illustrate the Great Mosque in Mecca and verses from the Quran.

Above the Sabil, there was a school dedicated to teaching Muslim orphans the Holy Qur’an and the prophetic traditions. The entrance door is surmounted by an inscription consisting of poetry, the founder’s name, and the date of completion.

Location