The architectural complex of Prince Sulayman Agha Al-Silehdar is located in al-Muizz Street. Prince Sulayman Agha Al-Silahdar, one of the princes of Muhammad Ali Pasha, established it in 1255 AH / 1839 AD. He came to Egypt as a young man and steadily rose in rank until he took over the Selhadaria, a charge over weaponry. By his architectural complex he was able to secure a place for himself among the great kings. His architectural complex includes a mosque, a sabil (drinking fountain) and a kuttab (school) unparalleled in Islamic architecture.
The most important characteristic of the building is its stone façade with floral motifs. It reflects the influence of European Renaissance art, with its marble decorations and oil paintings on the wooden ceilings in Ottoman style that was influenced by European arts at this time. The mosque’s minaret can be seen from the beginning of al-Muizz Street. It is characteristic of the Ottoman “pencil” minarets.