This is one of the most important architectural installations dating to the Ayyubid period. It is located between al-Qasrayn (the two palaces) on al-Muizz Street. Built in the year 641 AH / 1243 AD, it became known as the Salhiyya Madrasa, referring to its eponym Sultan al-Salih Nagm al-Din Ayyub. This madrasa was the first institution of its kind to teach all four schools of jurisprudence, replacing the Shi’ite curriculum that had been in place under the Fatimid Dynasty. Each of the four schools of jurisprudence has its own allocated area inside the madrasa.
The main façade and distinctive minaret above the entrance still surive. Only the western iwan, in which the Malik madhhab was taught, remains standing.
The mausoleum was built in 647 AH\ 1249 AD by Sultana Shajarat al-Durr, wife of Sultan Najm al-Din Ayyub. She commissioned the structure for her husband following his death in the battle against the Crusaders in Mansura. He was buried in al-Rawda Citadel and later removed to the mausoleum when it was completed in 648 AH\ 1250 AD.
The dome has one main façade with an entrance overlooking al-Muizz Street. A plaque above the main entrance records the date of the Sultan’s death. The wooden cabin inside the dome is a good example of Ayyubid wooden antiques.