Prisons spread throughout the castle as a first-class military facility. Historians mentioned the existence of more than one prison in the citadel, such as "the great pit" (the pit is a deep hole under the surface of the earth similar to a well and is accessed by stairs and closed by a door). There was a prison located next to the Mosque of Sulayman Pasha al-Khadim on the northern side of the citadel.
As for the current prison museum, it was established by Khedive Ismail after he transferred his government headquarters to Abdeen Palace in 1874 AD, to be expanded later by Khedive Tawfiq. The Military Police, the Military Police, took charge of prison affairs after the July 1952 Revolution. The Citadel Prison was famous for being the seat of the imprisonment of the most prominent public and political figures during the last century, which contributed later to its conversion into a museum and tourist attraction.
It consists of a 50-meter passageway that contains a group of cells divided into two sectors, one east and the other west. In addition, a group of rooms was dedicated to torturing prisoners forcing them to confess, which was simulated through wax statues. One of the most famous torture chambers; The "Rings" room, designed by the French "Lemian" during the reign of King Fouad in 1932 AD, is modeled on a room similar to the famous French "Bastille prison".