HE Minister of Antiquities Dr. Khaled El‑Enany and HE German Ambassador to Egypt Cyril Noun inaugurated a workshop to announce the launch of the joint Egyptian-German project for preserving and documenting the archives of the German archaeological missions in Egypt. The project was transferred to the Egyptian Antiquities Registration Center after World War II.
The workshop was attended by Dr. Mustafa Waziri, Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities. Stephan Seidlmayer, Director of the German Institute in Cairo, Dr. Hisham El-Laithy, Head of the Central Department for the Recording of Egyptian Antiquities and Director of the Dutch Institute in Cairo.
Dr. Hisham El-Laithy explained that the project aims at preserving, documenting, and reviving the archives of the German archaeological missions in Egypt by changing and creating the boxes and files that contain this archive and matching them with the old digital sequence.
The project will equip the archive with everything it requires, including glass negatives and chemically treated paper that preserve the paintings and prints, as well as photocopying and a database technologies, so that the archive may conform with international standards.
Dr. Hisham al-Laithy pointed out that the archives of German missions in Egypt include around forty-five thousand boxes containing glass negatives and paintings, pictures and prints, in addition to twenty-five boxes containing fifty 9x9 slides and twenty-thousand glass negatives of different sizes, and sixty-thousand portraits, and up to fifteen-thousand prints. In addition to these are sets of maps and reports, as well as a number of thirty-thousand editions of a preliminary version of the Wörterbuch der Ägyptischen Sprache. It is important to note that the archive dates back to 1882–1920, and was kept in the home of German archaeologist Borkhat in Zamalek and remained there until taken by Hermann Junker, who lived in the same house, and transferred it to the Egyptian Antiquities Registration Center during the Second World War.
On the sidelines of the workshop, a group of photographs and glass negatives held at the Egyptian Antiquities Registration Center were displayed.