HE Dr Khaled El‑Enany, the Minister of Tourism and Antiquities, inaugurated Eliyahu Hanavi Synagogue on 10 January 2020 after the completion of its restoration project. Eliyahu Hanavi Synagogue, on Daniel street in Alexandria, is the oldest remaining Jewish landmark in Egypt. It was built in 1881, after the Patriarch of Alexandria, the Pope of the Coptic Orthodox Church, gifted a plot of land that belonged to the Church for its construction. Numerous Old Testament leather and paper scrolls in decorated cases are stored in the synagogue. The structure is built in the basilical style. It consists of two storeys, one of which is dedicated for women, and a small platform used for sermons lies in front of the sanctuary. The marble sanctuary is situated on the east side of the synagogue.