In 1960, archeologist Shafiq Farid discovered the remains of a large palace complex made out of mud brick. The palace dates to the 12th Dynasty (c.1991–1803 BC), of the Middle Kingdom.
Excavation work was continued by archaeologist Ahmed el-Sawi, and followed by Mohammed Ibrahim Bakr in the late 1970s, 1980s and 1990s.
Due to the sheer size of the palace, which ranges at around 16,000 square meters, it was believed that the palace was the residence of king Amenemhat III when he was in Per Bastet or of the mayors of the city and the governors of the province. One can find a wonderful limestone door lintel discovered inside, which shows king Amenemhat III (c.1860–1815 BC) taking part in his heb-sed Festival.
The palace included a columned porch, colonnaded courtyards, wide halls, and also what appears to be a large kitchen with several ovens.