The madrasa (school) and khanqa of Sultan Barquq is located on al-Muizz street. Sultan al-Zahir Barquq ordered its construction, which began in 786 AH / 1384 AD. Its inauguration took place two years later, in 788 AH / 1386 AD. This madrasa lies in the middle of al-Muizz street, one of the world’s largest architectural heritage complexes.
The madrasa of Sultan Barquq was built at the same site where (khan al-Zakah) a charitable foundation was established by al-Nasir Muhammad Ibn Qalawun for his madrasa. The foundation of Barquq has religious and charitable functions as: madrasa (school) which taught the four Islamic legal schools, a mosque and a Sufi khanqa. A domed shrine inside the structure serves as the burial place of the Sultan’s father and some of his wives and children.
The building, with its many exquisite architectural and decorative elements, is an architectural marvel. It is composed of an open court and four iwans, the largest of which is the one on the side of the direction for prayer. It contains a marble mihrab, a wooden pulpit, a stand for the Qur’an, and a repeater (who is repeating after imam during the prayer) platform (dikkat al-mobaligh). The establishment was also equipped with several branch-schools, wings for Sufis, rooms for students, a kitchen, and bathrooms. The building’s façade is surmounted by a minaret and a dome that has been restored by the committee of the Preservation of Arab Antiquities in 1310 AH / 1892 AD.
The madrasa of Sultan Barquq is characterized by inscriptions from the Qur’an in the naskh script, a foundation inscription, the marble panels and the marvelously decorated ceiling of the largest iwan.