It was established by King Al-Zahir Abu Saeed Barquq bin Anas between the years (786-788 AH/1384-1386 AD). . It was used as a school to teach the four sects, a mosque and a Sufi khanqa, with a mausoleum dome in which his father and a number of his wives and sons were buried.
The school consists of an open courtyard and four iwans, the largest of which is to the southeast, with a marble mihrab, a wooden pulpit, the Qur’an chair, and the bench of the rebeater,A mausoleum dome, secondary schools, Sufi classes, rooms for students, a kitchen, a toilet, and a cowshed were attached to facility to serve the residents of the rooms.
Above the entrance facade is a domed minaret that has been renovated from a picture drawn by a traveler.
The facility is a wonderful architectural masterpiece with all its architectural and decorative elements.
The facility distinguishes the cursive texts from Quranic verses, the name of the originator, the date of construction, the colored marble cladding, and the qibla roof with its magnificent decorations.