Counted among the most important and longest streets in Islamic Egypt, al-Suyufiyya begins at the intersection of Muhammad Ali Street and ends at its intersection with al-Saliba Street. Al-Suyufiyya reflects the historical developments of the surrounding area. In the beginning of its history, it was part of the city of al-Qatai‘, and it witnessed the architectural development that took place during the Fatimid Caliphate. During the Ayyubid period, al-Suyufiyya was surrounded by groves, and partially overlooked Birkat al-Fil (“Elephant Pond”). The construction of Salah al-Din’s Citadel in 572 AH/1176 AD catalyzed urban expansion onto the street, and subsequently, in the Mamluk Period, the street became the home of the Mamluk nobles and ruling class. This continued during the Ottoman Period and Muhammad Ali Dynasty. Al-Suyufiyya Street includes a group of different Islamic monuments, such as palaces, mosques, tekiyyas, domes, and shrines, all of which date back to different periods. The most famous of those is the Palace of Prince Taz and the Mawlawi Tekiyya.